Hyperthyroidism and my experience
Currently I’ve been having
problem with semi-serious illness, hyperthyroidism. I am not considering that
this kind of illness is extremely serious, yet this kind of illness has changed
my lifestyle. I’ve been through this situation almost a year and still counting
with my routine medication. So, today I wanna share about what hyperthyroidism,
symptom, effect, monthly medical checkup, medication and so on. I really want
to share my experience, because it might be good for you, and prevent it before
late.
First before I share about my
experience facing hyperthyroidism, it might be better if I give some of
overview about it.
What is Hyperthyroidism?
Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid) is a condition in which thyroid
gland produces too much of the hormone thyroxine. The thyroid is a small,
butterfly-shaped gland located at the front of neck. It produces
tetraiodothyronine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3), which are two primary
hormones that control how your cells use energy. Thyroid gland regulates metabolism
through the release of these hormones. Hyperthyroidism can accelerate body's
metabolism significantly, causing sudden weight loss, a rapid or irregular
heartbeat, sweating, and nervousness or irritability. Hyperthyroidism occurs when the thyroid makes too much T4, T3, or both.
What causes Hyperthyroidism?
A variety of conditions can cause hyperthyroidism. Graves' disease, an
autoimmune disorder, is the most common cause of hyperthyroidism. It causes
antibodies to stimulate the thyroid to secrete too much hormone.
What are the symptoms of Hyperthyroidism?
High amounts of T4, T3, or both can cause an excessively high metabolic
rate. This is called a hypermetabolic state. When in a hypermetabolic state, it
may occur a rapid heart rate, elevated blood pressure, and hand tremors, sweat
a lot and develop a low tolerance for heat. Hyperthyroidism can cause more
frequent bowel movements, weight loss, and, in women, irregular menstrual
cycles.
Treatments and Drugs?
Medication
Antithyroid medications, such as methimazole (Tapazole), Thyrozol stop
the thyroid from making hormones. They are a common treatment.
Radioactive iodine
Radioactive iodine is given to over 70 percent of U.S. adults with
hyperthyroidism, according to the American Thyroid Association. It effectively
destroys the cells that produce hormones. Common side effects include dry
mouth, dry eyes, sore throat, and changes in taste. Precautions may need to be
taken for a short time after treatment to prevent radiation spread to others.
Surgery
A section or all of your thyroid gland may be surgically removed. You
will then have to take thyroid hormone supplements to prevent hypothyroidism,
which occurs when you have an underactive thyroid that secretes too little hormone.
Also, beta-blockers such as propranolol can help control your rapid pulse,
sweating, anxiety, and high blood pressure. Most people respond well to this
treatment.
My experience
It was not long time ago (even
though actually it’s been almost a year) since I have found myself having
problems with my thyroid gland. Actually I don’t really know exactly when it
started. But I feel something different since the end of February 2015. At that
time I was having migraine over three weeks. After my migraine disappeared, I started to
face hyperthyroid symptoms which most of them were not recognized as
hyperthyroid symptoms by me, such as :
keep losing weight, at that time I was trying to get my normal
weight back, in one day I would have 3-5 plates main dishes, 500ml of milk,
vitamin, exercising and so on. But it didn’t work, I keep losing weight.
trembling, and nervous. I used to have a problem with it. I remember when I was doing a
presentation for my research project, I was really nervous and couldn’t control
myself, spoke too fast, my body keeps shaking. Normally I am not like that.
have no energy, I couldn’t even stand up properly, like when I was
Salah, I couldn’t directly stand up after tahiyat or sujud. I have to put my
hand lay on something in order to help me stood up.
Irregular heartbeat, The normal resting heart rate
for adults ranges from 60 to 100 beats a minute. It was different with me last
year. My heartbeat was always over 140 in a minute. That was so dangerous, at
first I thought that it was triggered by current activities, or because I was
so tired. But it keeps happening until finally I couldn’t control it
anymore, I started to afraid but at that time I did nothing. Just take some
rest.
Eye disorder- proptosis. Is a condition of the eyes, it looks like
bigger than normal state, because the eyeball pushes forward. At first I didn’t
realize my eyes (eye ball) getting bigger, and one day my mother told me that
there’s something wrong with my eyes.
Bad sleeping quality, I
didn’t really know how do I sleep. But my sister who usually sleeps with me
said that I was too loud when I was sleeping, she said that I was puffing when
I slept, short of breath
. I also sweat too much because I couldn’t endure high temperature.
Low tolerance of heat. I have to admit, that last year was so
freaking hot. At first I didn’t realize it was because of my gland problem, I thought
it because I was living in an extremely hot city with highest temperature up to
36 ˚C. but then it wasn’t. I could drink water 3-4 liters in a day because I
used to feel so exhausted and thirsty.
So, how did finally I realized
about my thyroid gland problem and how do I face it?
See ya in the next chapter :D

Comments
Post a Comment